About us

Lavershot Barns is a home and garden store, focused on slow, natural living. We aim to continue the long tradition of horticultural businesses on our site and become a central pillar of the community.
A nursery first opened in the area at Lavershot Farm in 1847, when John Standish and William Noble founded The Standish & Noble Nursery – the soil in Windlesham made the nursery one of the foremost Rhododendron and Azalea specialist of its time and many species that were propagated at Windlesham can still be found in store today.

The nursery had several changes of ownership but continued to specialise trees, shrubs rhododendrons and azaleas and we believe that many original species of these plants may have originated in the area. In 1936 the Lavershot site was bought by John Russell, later joined by Lou Russell, establishing itself as a tree and shrub specialist. The site was renamed “Richmond Nurseries.” This business opened one of the first garden centres in the country – in 1958. The Russells won 35 RHS Gold Medals over 35 years, including for fuchsia and tree and shrub exhibits at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
Lou Russell continued to run the garden centre until he sold Richmond Nursery in 1987 to the Country Gardens Group, some 50 years after the original purchase. This group was later bought by Wyevale. Wyevale sold the site allowing us to create Lavershot Barns. This site has a long history and we hope we can continue to make it a success.

LOCATION

Lavershot Barns, London Road, Windlesham, GU20 6LL

PHONE

Plant Centre: 01344 586 255

OPENING HOURS

Monday to Saturday: 9 am – 6 pm
Sunday: 10 am – 4 pm